Google’s Pixel phones have recently undergone a weather transformation, introducing a dedicated Google Weather app on the Play Store while also seamlessly integrating weather information into the Clock app. However, this dual-app scenario has left users wondering which app to turn to for their weather needs. Let’s embark on a journey to understand the purpose and functionality of each app and how they coexist.
The New Pixel Weather App
Purpose: Powers weather features within the Pixel’s Clock app.
Functionality: Provides current weather conditions, forecasts for alarms, and weather information on the World Clock widget.
Availability: Downloadable from the Play Store and included in the December Feature Drop update (Pixel 5a and later).
Limitations: No detailed weather information or hourly forecasts.
The Redesigned Google Weather Experience
Purpose: Provides weather information within the Google app and At a Glance widget.
Functionality: Offers a more comprehensive weather experience with detailed information, hourly forecasts, and multiple locations.
Availability: Accessible through the Google app and At a Glance widget.
Limitations: Currently not available as a standalone app.
Which App Should You Use?
If you only need basic weather information like current conditions and forecasts for alarms, the Pixel Weather app integrated with the Clock app is sufficient. However, if you’re looking for a more comprehensive weather experience with detailed forecasts and multiple locations, the redesigned Weather experience within the Google app is the better choice.
The Future of Pixel Weather
While we currently have two separate apps, Google’s long-term vision seems to be merging these experiences into one dedicated Weather app. This app would likely combine the features of both, offering a seamless weather experience for Pixel users.
- The new Pixel Weather app is still under development, and we can expect further features and improvements in the future.
- Google may introduce a standalone app icon for the redesigned Weather experience in the future.
- You can manage your weather settings for both apps through the Google app settings.
What happened to Google Weather app
The Google Weather app has undergone a series of transitions lately, leaving some users wondering “What happened?” Here’s a breakdown of the situation:
- Google had a dedicated standalone “Weather” app available on the Play Store.
- This app offered a comprehensive weather experience with detailed forecasts, multiple locations, and other features.
- Google has discontinued the standalone Weather app.
- Instead, they offer weather information in two ways:
- Pixel Weather App: This app is specifically designed for Pixel phones and integrates with the Clock app. It offers basic information like current conditions and forecasts.
- Redesigned Weather Experience: This is accessible within the Google app and the At a Glance widget. It offers a more comprehensive experience with detailed information, hourly forecasts, and multiple locations.
Reason for change:
Google’s aim seems to be centralizing its weather offerings and providing a more integrated experience for users. This approach allows them to update and improve the weather features more efficiently.
It’s likely that Google will eventually merge the Pixel Weather app and the redesigned Weather experience into one dedicated app. This app would offer the best of both worlds, providing basic information within the Clock app and a rich experience for those seeking more detailed forecasts.
While the standalone Google Weather app is no longer available, users can still access weather information through the Pixel Weather app and the redesigned Weather experience within the Google app. These options cater to different needs and offer a range of features to keep you informed about the weather.
Frequently Asked Questions of Google Weather App
How do I get the new Google weather?
There are two ways to access the new Google weather features:
1. Pixel Weather app: Download the Pixel Weather app from the Play Store. Once installed, you’ll see a pop-up in the Clock app asking you to enable local weather. This will provide basic information like current conditions and forecasts within the Clock app and the World Clock widget.
2. Redesigned Weather experience: This is accessed through the Google app and the At a Glance widget. It offers more detailed information, hourly forecasts, and multiple locations.
What is the trending weather app?
Currently, the most popular weather app is AccuWeather, followed by Dark Sky and The Weather Channel. However, Google’s redesigned Weather experience has been gaining traction due to its integration with other Google services and clean interface.
Why isn’t my Google Weather working?
Check if you have the latest app version, a stable internet connection, enabled location services, and necessary app permissions. If not, update the app, connect to the internet, enable location services, or grant app permissions. Clearing app data and cache or restarting your device might also help.
Why did Google Weather change?
Google Weather received a new interface for easier navigation, improved accuracy for more reliable forecasts, new features like air quality information, and tighter integration with other Google services like Google Assistant and Maps.
In conclusion, the recent updates to Pixel weather offer a wider range of options for users depending on their needs. While the current setup might require some navigation between apps, it’s worth noting that this is likely a temporary state as Google works towards a unified and more comprehensive weather experience for Pixel devices.